Around GR: Supporting Local Never Tasted So Good
By Jordan Kossuth, Rockford Property Management Resident
The convenience of living above Bridge Street Market was a major factor in my decision to move into The Hendrik – even before the prospect of quarantine or reality of the strange year that was 2020 had hit. After nearly 2 years of living here, I have still barely scratched the surface of all the great local products from our community that can be found on the shelves. If you enjoy supporting small businesses and tasting new, local flavors, this list is for you!
- Haochi US Dumplings – In early spring 2020, a social media post directed me to this Facebook page. After looking at the menu, I had to order some … immediately. Haochi, which means “delicious” in Mandarin, is exactly how I would describe these dumplings and accompanying sauces, both of which are now available for purchase at Bridge Street Market.
- Ferris Coffee & Nut Co.’s Nitro Cold Brew – I have typically relied on this for a morning pick-me-up. But according to Ferris Coffee’s website, the nitro cold brew can be added to ice cream or even used to craft a White Russian cocktail.
- Oh So Cheesy Cheese Co. – These awesome cheese spreads are made in the Grand Rapids Downtown Market’s incubator kitchen. Available in eight different flavors, these are guaranteed to go great on any crackers. My personal favorites are the jalapeno and roasted garlic varieties.
- Fresh Ramen – Pearson Foods is a Grand Rapids-based company focused on fresh ingredients and quality meals, and they deliver with their Fresh Ramen bowls. They take just 3 minutes to heat up and come with fresh veggies, flavorful broths and ramen noodles all packaged in a to-go bowl. The spicy sesame bowl has become a staple in my work-from-home lunch rotation.
- Ice Box Brand Ice Cream Bars – This company began with the purchase of an ice cream truck and grew as the family expanded into crafting their own ice cream bars with different flavor combinations. I highly suggest the key lime pie and green dragon flavors.
- Fruitbelt Tart Sparkling Tonics – These are sparkling tonics made from Michigan-grown fruits, honey and bitters. They’re great for mixing drinks or for drinking on their own.
- Cool Jacks Ice Cream Sandwiches – Two soft, hand-crafted cookies enveloping a scoop of ice cream. These ice cream sandwiches come in packages of four and are worth every penny.
- Tillie Ruth’s Roadtrip Breakfast Sandwich – Ham, melty cheese and peppers on a warm croissant. It’s perfect when paired with a warm latte!
- Grand Rapids To-Go – One of the best additions to Bridge Street Market has come in the form of the Grand Rapids To-Go shelves, which are stocked with take-and-bake meals from various restaurants around the city, such as The Candied Yam, New Holland Knickerbocker and Cedar Springs Brewing Company‘s soft pretzel.
One of the aspects of dining in restaurants that I have missed the most is having a fancy cocktail (or two) to top off my meal. I was thrilled to see that so many restaurants have created take-home drink kits and cocktails, and have had the opportunity to sample several, with Danzon Cubano’s piña colada remaining one of my favorites.
I hope everyone can try some of these tasty local treats and has a healthy and happy new year!